Sunday, December 4, 2011

Seven Reasons Why You Should Quit Contracting and Find Another Job

I've been a licensed general building contractor for over 20 years now and have been working in the construction business since 1978. I don't know how many times I've thought about quitting, but haven't yet.1. You're tired of working for abusive clients. I don't know how many people I've actually worked for that have emotional and mental problems. Some of them were pretty abusive people.2. Nobody pays you on time anymore. If you're a contractor who works for other contractors, you know what I'm talking about. I had to quit working for one contractor, because they wanted to start paying me every 90 days. It just doesn't make any sense.3. Workers compensation rates are going through the roof. I had to quit using workers in 2002, because I was paying over 50% of my payroll to the workers compensation insurance company.4. You're tired of going to estimates. There was a time when I got nine out of every 10 jobs that I went to look at and now it seems like I get about four out of every 10 jobs.5. You're tired of people telling you that you're ripping them off. I couldn't even afford medical insurance for the longest time, when I first started working as a contractor.6. You can't find good help. I probably had over a hundred people working for me at one time and out of those people, there were less than 10 of them that knew what they were doing.7. If you do find someone that knows what they're doing, they either quit or want more money. Life's not fair all of the time, but it isn't a reason to quit either.There might be seven reasons why you should quit contracting, but there are at least a hundred reasons why you should stay in the construction business. Don't let things like this get you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment